JACKSONVILLE UNIVERSITY DANCE TEAM
Auditions for the Jacksonville University Sirens will be held in the Historic Swisher Gymnasium April 21-22, 2018
- Sirens Dance Application
- Siren Dance Audition Information Packet
- Waiver of Liability
- Sports Medicine Waiver
Saturday April 21, 2018
Historic Swisher Gymnasium
Registration 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. at Phillips Fine Arts Center Studio North
Clinic 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Clinic 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Clinic 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Cost: $20 (exact cash only)
Sunday, April 22, 2018
Group Interviews 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Final Tryouts 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
What to bring:
- Tryout Application
- Fully Completed Liability Waiver
- Proof of acceptance / enrollment (JU ID)
- Black jazz pants / yoga pants with black sports bra
- Black jazz shoes
- Hair should be gameday ready, completely down and out of your face
- No embelleshments on tops or bottoms; SOLID BLACK ONLY
- Full gameday makeup with red lipstick only
- Rhinestone stud earrings allowed in ears only; no additional jewelry
Dance and Performance Ability
All Sirens are expected to perform with the highest level of dance technique. Members must be able to learn choreography quickly and memorize several routines at a time. Dancers must concentrate on sharpness, body placement, technique and coordination without sacrificing energy or style. All Sirens must show a consistent, captivating performance that is defined by court appeal, enthusiasm and overall performance value.
The Sirens will perform a wide range of dance styles and various aspects will be evaluated in the audition process. A strong emphasis in dance technique will be highlighted and include double and triple turns, a la second turns, leaps, and kicks. Hip Hop and Pom routines are common for Sirens to perform and will also be highlighted during the audition process.
Each applicant will be evaluated on the following:
- Skill evaluation
- Right double pirouette (minimum)
- Left double pirouette (minimum)
- Turns in second (eight-count minimum)
- Leap progression (examples include: grand jete (right & left), center leap, switch leap (right & left)
- Specialty skills (examples include: leg hold layour, leg hold turn, needle, scorpion, calypso, barrel turn, tilt jump, floating turns, firebird, etc...)
- Tryout routine (will be judged based on collegiate image, technique and execution. performance ability, overall impression, memory)
Before Auditioning, Please be aware of the following:
- All tryout end times are approximate.
- All rounds of tryouts and the new member meeting are closed to the public.
- Individuals must be available to attend the entire Tryout. Cuts will be made periodically throughout the tryout process.
- Cheerleaders are expected to learn chants, cheers, stunts, pyramids each season.
- Incoming freshman and transfer students must be accepted to Jacksonville University before the first day of tryouts
- Current students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above, and must bring their JU ID card
- New members are required to be in Jacksonville TBA for their new member physicals. No exceptions will be made.
- All Cheerleaders must be available to be in Jacksonville at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the fall semester for the start of practice. All lodging and expenses are the responsibility of the Cheerleader during this time. Poster and website photos will be scheduled during this week
The final team is made up of 12 dancers. Potential returning members must audition each year and are not guaranteed a spot on the team. A returning member's commitment, effort and performance throughout the previous year will affect their eligibility to return to the squad.
The Athletic Department Spirit Program does not provide scholarships at this time. If this shall change before the tryout date it will be posted and the description of financial assistance will be provided.
For more information regarding the Jacksonville University Sirens, please contact:
Jacksonville University Athletics
Attn: Gene Moore
Spirit Program Coordinator
2800 University Blvd. North
Jacksonville, FL 32211