MONDAY, MARCH 16, 2009
JU vs. Florida Game Notes
- The Dolphins return to the postseason for the first time since 1987 when they participated in the NIT. This is JU’s fifth trip to the NIT, with the first coming in 1972, with the Dolphins holding a 5-5 record in the tournament.
- Florida leads the all-time series, 26-4, with the Gators winning the last seven meetings. JU’s last win in the series came in 1994.
The Dolphins were picked second in the A-Sun preseason coaches and media poll...JU opened conference play 2-0 for the second straight season...For the third straight season, the Dolphins have won three games or less in non-conference play...JU’s nine-game winning streak was the longest since 1980 and tied for the fifth longest in program history...The regular season conference title was the first in the history of the program as JU has won two conference tournament titles.
1,000-POINT CLUB WATCH...
- Marcus Allen scored five points against ETSU and enters the contest with 1,297 points, which is good enough for 14th on the all-time scoring list. He needs 15 more to tie Artis Gilmore for 13th.
- Ben Smith is the 25th member of the 1,000 point club and has moved up to 16th place on the all-time scoring list. His 29 points against ETSU gives him a total of 1,283 and he needs seven points to tie Kevin Sheppard for 15th.
- Lehmon Colbert became the 26th player in JU history to reach the milestone and his 1,109 career points ranks 21st on the all-time list. He needs six points to tie Ernie Fleming for 20th, 13 to tie Rex Morgan for 19th and 14 to tie Danny Pearson for 18th.
- Ben Smith scored a game-high 29 points against ETSU, his seventh straight game in double figures - the second longest streak of the season.
- Lehmon Colbert pulled down a career-best 13 rebounds in the title game against ETSU. His previous high was 12.
- Evan Jefferson scored 11 points in the championship game, the most points he has put up since the first meeting at ETSU on Jan. 3.
2008-09 MEN'S BASKETBALL