WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 02, 2013
JU Off To A 2-0 A-Sun Start After 85-71 Win Over Lipscomb
Cliff Warren matches Rollie Rourke for the most wins in JU history
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A balanced offensive attack led by five players in double figures paced Jacksonville to an 85-71 win over Lipscomb in an Atlantic Sun contest Wednesday night at Veterans Memorial Arena. JU Head Coach Cliff Warren equaled a school record with his 107th career win at the University matching a record held by Rollie Rourke since the 1960 season.
While the Dolphins (7-8; 2-0) defense was the story in a 53-51 win over Northern Kentucky in the A-Sun opener on Monday, the offense took control tonight. Senior Keith McDougald (Jacksonville, Fla.) racked up 19 points and was 5-7 from three while senior Glenn Powell (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) added 16 points and six rebounds while matching a career best with four blocks.
Senior Russell Powell (Newnan, Ga.) engineered a season best 21 assist performance by the Dolphins, dishing out a season best nine assists against zero turnovers to go along with his eight points.
Jacksonville took control of the game early on using a 19-6 first half run to breakaway from a 10-10 tie five minutes into the contest. Lipscomb (5-8; 0-2) closed back to within seven with three minutes left in the half, but JU answered and grabbed a 13 point, 46-33 lead at the break following a three pointer by Dylan Fritsch (Albuquerque, N.M.) (12 points) in the closing seconds.
Freshmen Jarvis Haywood (Charlotte, N.C.) opened the second half with a three pointer as the JU margin grew to as many as 22 with four minutes left before the final buzzer sounded. Freshman Kordario Fleming (Memphis, Tenn.) was also in double figures with 11 points.
Stephen Hart led Lipscomb with 30 points and 11 rebounds.
The Dolphins travel south for a two game road swing at FGCU on Saturday and at Stetson on Monday. FGCU (1-1) fell 77-70 at Mercer in overtime tonight while Stetson (1-1) picked up a 70-60 win at Kennesaw State.
- JU and Mercer are the only two A-Sun teams that are currently 2-0
- Second time this season JU had had five players score in double figures (vs Florida Christian 12/3/12)
- The 21 assists are the most in a game by JU since the team had 27 vs Troy (12/29/08)
- McDougald set a career high with five three pointers. His 71.4 percentage (5-7) from three equaled the seventh best single game three-point shooting performance by a JU player with at least five made threes. Fritsch also accomplished the feat at Indiana on Dec. 28 after no JU player had shot better than 71.4 percent since James Daniels was 5-5 vs Florida Atlantic on Jan. 2, 2002
- JU had a 24-11 advantage in bench points
- Russell Powell had 19 assists and only four turnovers in the last three games
- JU entered the game averaging an A-Sun best 3.9 blocks per game and had seven tonight
2012-13 MEN'S BASKETBALL