Late surge propels Campbell past JU, 91-77

Jan. 30, 2006

Final Stats

BUIES CREEK, N.C. - For 34 minutes, it looked like the Jacksonville men's basketball team was about to break its streak on Monday night.

But over the final six minutes, Campbell out scored JU 25-11 to send the Dolphins to their 17th straight loss, 91-77, in an Atlantic Sun Conference game at Carter Gymnasium.

Maurice Latham led four Camels (8-12, 7-6 A-Sun) in double figures with 26 points and 14 rebounds while Eric Smith added 23 points, hitting seven 3-pointers with four coming in the second half.

Despite hitting 48.5 percent of their shots in the game, the Dolphins were held to just 30 points in the second half while Campbell scored 53, with seven 3-pointers in the second stanza.

"We had our chances tonight, but Campbell hit some big shots down the stretch and we weren't able to take advantage of our opportunities," said JU head coach Cliff Warren. "We shot the ball well tonight, but we have to take better care of the basketball if we want to win."

Jacksonville (1-19, 1-12 A-Sun) had four players score in double figures, led by Antonio Cool's 19 points. Evan Jefferson added 13 points off the bench, hitting three 3-pointers.

Campbell took advantage of the Dolphins inside, holding a 44-32 advantage in rebounds, with 21 coming on the offensive end. The Camels turned those extra offensive chances into 17 points.

The Camels were able to gain the early lead, 18-11, scoring seven straight points capped by a jumper by Reggie Bishop.

The Dolphins answered back, tying the game at 23 on their way to 37-27 lead with 3:50 left in the half, capped by four-point play by Jefferson. During the 26-9 run, Jacksonville hit four 3-pointers, one by Cool, Aubrey Conerly and two by Jefferson.

Campbell cut the deficit to five with 1:36 left, but Ljubisa Vrcelj's tip-in at the buzzer sent the Dolphins to the locker room with the lead at the half for just the fourth time this season, 47-38.

The Dolphins were never able to extend their lead in the second half, constantly trying to stop Campbell runs. The Camels cut the lead to four in the opening three minutes before JU restored the lead to eight.

The Camels made another run, cutting the lead to one, 59-58 with 9:28 left in regulation and tied the game at 62 on a 3-pointer by Smith at the 8:52 mark.

With the game tied at 66 and just seven minutes left in the game, the Camels defense stepped up by holding JU to just 11 points the rest of the game.

The turning point came with 6:07 left in the game when Smith hit his second straight 3-pointer that was followed by a steal and 3-pointer from Ledell Eackles to put the Camels up six with 5:57 left.

The Dolphins made one more run, cutting the lead to two, 75-73, on a dunk by Cool with 3:14 left in the game.

Campbell then caught fire, scoring 14 points in the final three minutes, with Eackles accounting for seven of those points on his way to 15 for the game.

Ruell Pringle added 10 points to round out the double digit scores for Campbell.

David Fine came off the bench with 12 points and three assists for JU while Aubrey Conerly scored 11 points and dished out seven assists before fouling out.

The Dolphins are back in action on Friday at home against East Tennessee State in the A-Sun "Game of the Week." Tipoff is set for 7:30 p.m.