Men’s soccer falls to UNF, 2-1
UNF added two second-half goals to down the JU men’s soccer team, 2-1, on Saturday night in the Atlantic Sun Conference action at the Ashley Sports Complex.

The Ospreys (2-8, 2-1 A-Sun) tied the match less than six minutes into the second half from a score by sophomore forward Peter Laurer, while senior midfielder Steven Lowenthal added the game-winning goal in the 83rd minute. Sophomore Jullian Beau (2-5) made one save between the posts to help secure the win.

With the victory, the Ospreys also tie the SunTrust River City Rumble standings between the two schools and regain possession of the Dennis Viollet Memorial Cup.

The Dolphins (3-6-1, 1-2) got their score from junior forward Nedim Hrustic and produced many scoring opportunities, but were whistled for a match-high eight offside penalties. Sophomore goalie Johnny Foley (3-1) made six stops in the loss.

“This was not a good night for us,” said JU head coach Mike Johnson. “We scored early and had a chance to covert on a few more, but we missed our chances. After the missed opportunities, we got frustrated and let them back into the match. They did what they needed to do to beat us. We have a lot of work to do for a quick turnaround on Monday.”

The Dolphins took an early 1-0 lead less than seven minutes into match after senior midfielder Jonathan Jackson lifted a pass to Hrustic, who hit the bottom left corner of the net for the score.

Less than a minute later, Jackson almost scored with a header off the post, but the Dolphins were nabbed for the first of their four offside penalties in the first half.

In the 30th minute, Lowenthal had a chance to tie the match for the Ospreys when got a 1-v-1 against the goalie, but Foley made the stop to keep UNF off the board.

The Dolphins cleared a dangerous shot away from senior forward Shareef Rajkumar with less than 10 seconds left in the first frame to go to the half with the lead.

In the second half, junior Adam O’Neil had a shot that was blocked by Foley, but Lauer took the deflection from the save and put the ball in the back of the net to tie the match.

The Dolphins got a shot attempt from freshman midfielder David Santa Maria in the 70th minute on a breakaway, but Beau was there to knock it away. Sophomore forward Tyler Williams followed with another shot that nicked the right corner post of the goal.

Less than nine minutes remaining in the match, Rajkumar found Lowenthal on a cross and he knocked the ball in the left corner of the goal to give the Ospreys a 2-1 advantage.

In the 88th minute, the Dolphins thought they had a penalty kick situation when senior midfielder Stefan Runeman was foul in the box, but the officials whistled JU for being off sides.

The Dolphins will try to bounce back quickly as they head to Miami on Monday to play Florida International at 7 p.m.