MONDAY, JANUARY 29, 2007
Women's tennis beats Florida A&M, 6-1
Jan. 28, 2007
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The JU women's tennis team defeated Florida A&M, 6-1, in a non-conference action on Sunday afternoon in Tallahassee, Fla.
The Dolphins (1-1) bounced back after falling the day before to Florida State, while the Lady Rattlers (0-2) have dropped consecutive matches to start the 2007 season.
Tatiana Soldatova grabbed a win over Kimber Redfern in the No. 3 singles match, 7-5, 6-3, while Fernanda Carrero defeated Sarah Brinkley in straight sets. Maria Paiva-Flor also scored a victory against Samaria Bailey at the No. 5 seed, 6-1, 6-3.
In doubles action, Sulyos and Soldatova knocked off Pye and Redfern, 8-0. Willi and Carerro beat Izomor and Brinkley, 8-2, to secure the JU win.
The Dolphins will return home to face cross-town rival UNF in another installment of the SunTrust River City Rumble on Thursday at the Keith Watson Family Tennis Complex. First serve is set for 2 p.m.
1. Emese Sulyos (JU) def. Alice Izomor, (FAMU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Lena Willi (JU) def. Rachel Pye (FAMU) 6-3, 7-6 (6)
3. Tatiana Soldatova, (JU) def. Kimber Redfern, (FAMU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Fernanda Carrero, (JU) def. Sarah Brinkley, (FAMU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Maria Paiva-Flor, (JU) def. Samaria Bailey, (FAMU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Ashley Green (FAMU) def. Iva Jaresova (JU), by default
1. Sulyos / Soldatova (JU) def. Pye/Redfern (FAMU) 8-0
2. Willi / Carrero (JU) def. Izomor/Brinkley (FAMU) 8-2
3. Green/Bailey (FAMU) def. Jaresova / Paiva-Flor (JU), by default
2006 WOMEN'S TENNIS