TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2007
Women's tennis falls to #31 USF 7-0
Feb. 11, 2007
TAMPA, Fla. - A day after knocking off UCF, the JU women's tennis team fell to #31 USF 7-0 at the USF varsity tennis courts Sunday afternoon.
"I'm so proud of the way that Emese Sulyos and Lena Willi fought and demonstrated class in their matches," said head coach Jarod Camerota. "Each match lasted two and a half hours for only two sets against ranked players. I hope they understand that they can play with anyone in the country."
Emese Sulyos lost her first match in the last six matches against #54 Courtney Vernon 6-4, 6-4. After trailing 5-0 at the No. 2 singles spot, Lena Willi came back against #10 Shadisha Robinson to take the first set into a tiebreak, but was unable to secure the victory falling 7-6 (4), 6-2.
Head coach Jarod Camerota also went on to say, "Iva Jaresova and Fernanda Carrero (in singles) and all of our doubles teams are playing better every match. However, we can't be satisfied with a loss."
The Dolphins will look to come back strong on Friday, Feb. 16th at home against conference rival Stetson at 1 p.m.
1. #54 Courtney Vernon (USF) def. Emese Sulyos (JU) 6-4, 6-4
2. #10 Shadisha Robinson (USF) def. Lena Willi (JU) 7-6 (4), 6-2
3. Jessica Sweeting (USF) def. Tatiana Soldatova (JU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Liz Cruz (USF) def. Iva Jaresova (JU) 3-4 ret
5. Gabriela Duch (USF) def. Fernanda Carrero (JU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Iciri Rai (USF) def. Maria Paiva-Flor (JU) 6-0, 6-0
1. #22 Robinson/Duch (USF) def. Sulyos/Willi (JU) 8-3
2. Vernon/Sweeting (USF) def. Soldatova/Jaresova (JU) 8-4
3. Rai/Cruz (USF) def. Pavia-Flor/Carrero (JU) 8-1
2006 WOMEN'S TENNIS