Men’s soccer drops A-Sun Opener to Stetson, 4-2
Stetson scored early and often to down the JU men’s soccer team, 4-2, in the Atlantic Sun opener on Friday night at the Ashley Sports Complex.

The Hatters (7-0-1, 1-0 A-Sun) got a pair of scores from senior forward Griffin Gilstrap, while senior forward Kevin Munz finished with two assists in the victory. Sophomore goalie Logan Potter (7-0-1) made five saves on the night to get the win between the nets.

Despite having a 24-14 shot advantage, the Dolphins (2-5-1, 0-1) could only muster two late goals from sophomore midfielder Andy Mikeska and freshman midfielder David Santa Maria. JU also dropped its first conference opener since 2005.

“This was not a good way to start A-Sun play,” said JU head coach Mike Johnson. “We came out flat tonight and they did a good job of benefitting from our mistakes. We have to put forth a better effort to be successful. All we can do is work through our mistakes and hope for a better result on Sunday.”

In the 10th minute, the Hatters took a 1-0 lead as Munz and freshman midfielder Kevin Munz had consecutive passes to each other that freed Gilstrap in front of the net to knock the ball in the right corner.

Less than two minutes later, sophomore midfielder Fredrik Brustad scored in the bottom left part of the goal from a shot on the far right side to give the Hatters a 2-1 advantage.

The Dolphins’ best offensive opportunity to score in the first half came with less than 19 minutes when freshman defender Filip Terland headed a ball into the top crossbar off a post. He caught the deflection, but lifted his next shot high over the goal.

In the second half, the Dolphins finally made it a 2-1 game after Mikeska recorded his second goal of the season in the 67th minute.

The Hatters would extend the lead to 3-1 less than four minutes later as Gilstrap scored on a penalty kick that was issued following a foul by senior goalie Joey Sanchez.

Sophomore midfielder Gonzalo de Mujica put the match out of reach in the 82nd minute by scoring on a pass from Munz to give the Hatters a 4-1 lead.

JU would make it a 4-2 match in the 89th minute on a goal from Santa Maria, but they could not inch any closer.

The Dolphins will try to bounce back at home on Sunday when they play Florida Gulf Coast at 2 p.m.