Men’s soccer downed in overtime by Lipscomb, 1-0
The music was not sweet again for the Dolphins as Lipscomb scored the golden goal less than five minutes into overtime to down the JU men’s soccer team, 1-0, in an Atlantic Sun Conference match on Sunday afternoon in Nashville, Tenn.

In the 95th minute of the match, sophomore forward Garret Pettis added the game-winning goal on a cross from sophomore forward Andrew Chamberlain to give the Bisons (4-8-3, 1-3-2 A-Sun) their first conference win this season. The Bisons finished with an 18-12 shot advantage, while sophomore goalie Patrick Walsh made four stops to earn the shutout.

The Dolphins (3-9-1, 1-4) dropped their second straight overtime match of the week and suffered their fourth loss in a row since Oct. 10. Sophomore forward Tyler Williams finished with a team-high four shot attempts, while senior goalie Joey Sanchez (0-7-1) tallied a season-high eight saves in the loss.

“These two losses really hurt,” said JU head coach Mike Johnson. “We worked hard this weekend, but just didn’t get the results we wanted. Today, we had our chances and we couldn’t get the back in the back of the net. This has been our problem for the last few matches and it puts too much pressure on our defense to try to keep us in it. We have to find ways to score right now so we get out of this rut.”

In the first half, the Dolphins had three of their four shots knocked down by Walsh. Sophomore midfielder Andy Mikeska had two of those attempts, but one sailed wide in the 22nd minute and the other was saved less than six minutes later.

Sanchez kept the Bisons off the board in the 27th minute after he saved two consecutive shots from Pettis.

The Dolphins opened the second half in a flurry with three shots on goal, but two went wide and one was knocked down by Walsh.

Williams had one final shot to get the game-winner for the Dolphins in the 81st minute, but it was blocked.

With less than four minutes remaining, junior midfielder Garrett McLaughlin had a one last attempt for Lipscomb, which was blocked and forced overtime.

In overtime, Chamberlain had two of the Bisons’ four shot attempts during the first three minutes. Chamberlain broke though in a different way on the Bisons’ fifth attempt by delivering the game-winning assist to Pettis.

The Dolphins look to break the skid on Friday when they host USC Upstate at the Ashley Sports Complex. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m.