After a win over No. 5 ETSU, the No. 2 seed JU baseball team (35-20) will face No. 4 Mercer (36-19) in the winners bracket of the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament on Thursday at 8 p.m. ET.
No. 1 Stetson (40-17) will face No. 5 ETSU (36-20) in an elimination game at Noon ET. No. 3 Kennesaw State (32-24) and No. 6 Belmont (33-24) will go at 4 p.m. ET.
JU leads Mercer in the all-time series, 31-21, including a sweep in the season series in Macon, Ga. on May 8-10. The last A-Sun Tourney meeting between the two schools since the final day of competition last season.
The contest can be heard live on 1010XL with Joel Lamp calling all of the action. The contest can also be viewed for free on ASun.TV or followed through live stats by logging onto JUDolphins.com.
JU in the A-Sun Tournament
* For the 10th time in 13 seasons, JU has earned a bid to the A-Sun postseason tournament under head coach Terry Alexander.
* The Dolphins enter with the No. 2 seed in the tournament for the first time since 1999, their first year in the A-Sun. That season, JU won the tournament with a 4-1 record - defeating Troy State in the championship game.
* The Dolphins reached the final day of competition in last year’s Nashville tournament before being eliminated by Mercer.
* The Dolphins won the conference tourney in 2009 as the No. 1 seed, 2007 as the No. 4 seed, 2003 as the No. 6 seed and 1999 as the No. 2 seed.
* With its win over No. 5 ETSU, the Dolphins moved to 5-5 overall in opening games and was their first opening win since a 7-5 win over Belmont in 2009.
Home Sweet Road?
Senior Matthew Tomshaw enjoyed a breakout season in 2010 and after sitting out the first two weeks of 2011 with a sore arm, he looks to be back in business.
Last year, Tomshaw garnered second team all-conference accolades after going 8-2 with a 4.99 ERA and three complete games in 92 innings.
A preseason all-conference honoree this year, Tomshaw has won his last two decisions to improve his mark to 7-3 while leading all starters with a 4.06 ERA in 14 starts.
The most impressive stat is his record away from John Sessions Stadium. In seven starts, Tomshaw is 6-0 with a 2.20 ERA with only six walks and 36 strikeouts and a .249 opponent batting average in 49 innings.
Included in those road wins were eight shutout innings at Belmont, a complete-game shutout at FGCU and only two runs allowed in six innings at No. 4 Florida.
Tomshaw continued his dominance by allowing one unearned run on only five hits while striking out seven in a complete game win over No. 5 ETSU in the first round of the A-Sun Tournament.