FRIDAY, JANUARY 28, 2011
Women’s tennis starts strong with 6-1 win over Bethune-Cookman
The JU women’s tennis team surged to a fast start in its 2011 campaign, posting a 6-1 victory over Bethune-Cookman on Friday in Daytona Beach, Fla.
Five of six Dolphins won their singles events while JU (1-0) also swept the doubles competitions. Freshman Gabriela Bartos impressed in her collegiate debut, beating Shereen Peterson-Paul, 6-2, 6-0. Natalia Melibeu, Flavia Nagayama, Virginia Iwinski and Veronique Spencer also recorded straight-sets victories in singles play, dropping Bethune-Cookman to 0-1.
Melibeu, a freshman, jumped to a quick start with a 6-2 first set win over Nancy Gonzales before out-lasting her opponent in a hard-fought second set that ended 6-4 in favor of the Recife, Brazil native.
Fellow freshman Flavia Nagayama also cruised in two sets, registering a 6-2, 6-0 win over Andrea Paez. Iwinski and Spencer rounded out singles play with a pair of 6-1, 6-1 wins.
The Dolphins lost just 24 games in all, including just four in doubles competition. Eve Castaing and Bartos paired for an 8-1 doubles victory. Melibeu and Nagayama teamed for another 8-1 win while Iwinski and Spencer logged an 8-2 victory.
Tennis Match Results
Jacksonville at Bethune-Cookman
Jan. 28, 2010 at Daytona Beach, Fla.
Jacksonville 6, Bethune-Cookman 1
1. Katarina Szaboova (BCC) def. Eve Castaing (JU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Gabriela Bartos (JU) def. Shereen Peterson-Paul (BCC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Natalia Melibeu (JU) def. Nancy Gonzales (BCC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Flavia Nagayama (JU) def. Andrea Paez (BCC) 6-2, 6-0
5. Virginia Iwinski (JU) def. Stacey Lopez (BCC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Veronique Spencer (JU) def. Laura Rodriguez (BCC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Eve Castaing/ Gabriela Bartos (JU) def. Katarina Szaboova/ Andrea Paez (BCC) 8-1
2. Natalia Melibeu/ Flavia Nagayama (JU) def. Shereen Peterson-Paul/ Nancy Gonzales (BCC) 8-1
3. Virginia Iwinski/ Veronique Spencer (JU) def. Stacey Lopez/ Laura Rodriquez (BCC) 8-2
2010 WOMEN'S TENNIS