Men’s soccer defeats Georgia Southern in overtime, 2-1
Junior midfielder Darko Karamatic repeated his feat from last Friday for the JU men’s soccer team after scoring the game-winning goal in overtime again to lift the Dolphins past Georgia Southern, 2-1, on Tuesday night at the Ashley Sports Complex.

Karamatic, the reigning A-Sun “Player of the Week”, caught a loose ball at the top of the box in the 91st minute and shot it with his left foot to the right side of the net to give the Dolphins (2-1) another game-winning score.

Junior midfielder Daniele Campailla (71’) tied the match for JU in the second half, while junior goalie Johnny Foley had a match-high eight saves between the posts.

“This was another great contest,” said JU head coach Mike Johnson. “Our guys kept their intensity up for most of the second half and were finally able to get our chance to win it. We have to keep building on this momentum as we move through the month to get to conference play.”

The Eagles (1-1) got the initial lead from Hunter Norton in the first half and goalie Ryan Platt recorded five saves in 91 minutes of work.

In the first half, the Dolphins pressured quickly with four shots in the first 15 minutes. Two of the JU shots were blocked by the Georgia Southern backline line, while the first clear attempt from junior midfielder Davide Faga was saved by Platt.

The Eagles almost took the lead of their first attempt at 22:33 when Drew Ruggles slid a pass to Norton in front of the net, but he headed a shot just a foot over the crossbar.

Horton delivered for the Eagles less than five minutes later on breakaway down the right side of the field and a shot to the left side of the goal for the 1-0 advantage.

In the 43rd minute of the frame, Karamatic nearly tied the match for JU after he took a pass on a corner from junior Predrag Ivanovic and knocked a shot that was barely punched over the net by Platt.

The Dolphins had another chance on a free kick in the final 10 seconds of the frame, but Platt knocked it away again to end the scoring opportunity.

In the second half, Foley kept the Eagles off the board again by swatting away an attempt less than two minutes into the frame.

With the less than 20 minutes remaining, the Dolphins finally tied the match as Campailla shot a ball that Platt initially fielded, but it slipped through his hands into the back of the net.

The Dolphins had a chance for the go-ahead goal with a hard shot from Karamatic that was knocked off the post and bounced out of bounds in the final 10 minutes of the match.

At the four minute mark of the frame, Jon Cox had a shot that almost found its way into the top of the net on a deflection, but Foley leapt at the right second to knock it away.

Freshman midfielder Trey Collins had an open shot attempt in front of the net during the final minute, but got out of position and the match moved to overtime.

The Dolphins look to carry their winning streak on the road beginning Friday with the Elon Classic in Elon, N.C. They open with UNC Greensboro on Friday at 5 p.m. before finshing with the host Phoenix on Sunday at 2:30 p.m.