Men’s soccer loses in double overtime to Belmont, 3-2
The JU men’s soccer team fell victim again to missed chances after dropping a 3-2 contest in double overtime to Belmont in Atlantic Sun Conference action on Sunday at the Ashley Sports Complex.

Brandon Tarr scored two of the three goals, including the game-winning score for the Bruins (5-7, 2-2 A-Sun) in the 103rd minute. Nico Olsak had a goal and an assist, while Lou Manning finished with 10 saves between the posts.

The Dolphins (6-5-1, 1-2) outshot their opponent for the second straight match, 26-15. Senior Nedim Hrustic recorded both goals to keep JU in it and junior Darko Karamatic finished with a game-high five shot attempts.

“This was another tough loss,” said JU head coach Mike Johnson. “Our guys are getting the right chances, but we are not getting it through the net when we really need one. We have to change this course soon because we have a tough stretch next weekend.”

JU took the first seven attempts of the game and connected on the last one in the 23rd minute to take a 1-0 advantage.

Sophomore Davide Faga dribbled the ball from a corner kick to the far left corner of the box, but had his shot blocked. He saved the loose ball and served it to Hrustic, who put it in the back of the net for the goal.

The Dolphins had a chance to double their lead less than 10 minutes into the second half as Hrustic and junior Casey Tafuri set up a beautiful pass to junior Daniele Campailla, but his attempt went over the net.

In the 59th minute, the Bruins had a free kick from midfield that Nico Olsak shot straight high at the box and Tarr flicked the ball into the net to tie the match.

Olsak gave the Bruins a 2-1 lead in the 73rd minute after taking his own blocked shot by JU goalie Johnny Foley and scoring on an open net.

The Dolphins tied the match on a free kick less than nine minutes later as Campailla and Karamatic serviced a good pass that Hrustic headed into the goal.

Junior Predrag Ivanovic scored for JU with less than seven minutes left in the match, but he was whistled off sides. Foley saved a Belmont attempt at the end of regulation to force overtime.

After a scoreless first overtime, Karamatic tried to end the match less than a minute in the frame with a hard shot attempt that nicked the post and flicked out of bounds.

Charlie Dankert found Tarr in the box two minutes later with a pass that he headed past Foley for the game-winning score.

The Dolphins will look to regroup on the road next week when they play East Tennessee State in Johnson City, Tenn. on Friday at 7 p.m.