SUNDAY, JANUARY 30, 2011
Men’s tennis falls to UCF in season opener
A pair of tightly contested doubles matches proved to be the difference as the JU men’s tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision to the University of Central Florida on Saturday at the Keith Watson Family Tennis Complex.
The Dolphins (0-1) were boosted in singles play by its underclassmen. Sophomore Fernando Lopez outlasted UCF’s Blaze Schwartz, rallying from a first-set loss to win, 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4.
Fellow sophomore Jose Fantova won his second singles match in impressive fashion, registering a straight-sets victory over Claudio Romano. Fantova, who earned Atlantic Sun Conference all-freshman team honors last season, cruised in a 6-1, 6-3 win.
JU freshman Larry Condez looked like a veteran in his collegiate debut, pulling out a third-set victory in a tiebreaker over Matthew Gladstone.
But UCF won two out of three doubles matches to take the overall victory. Leo Vivas, Joe Delinks and Mario Samson won their singles matches for the Knights.
The Dolphins will have a chance to grab the first win of the season on Sunday when it hosts FAU.
Tennis Match Results
Jacksonville vs. UCF
Jan. 29, 2010 at Jacksonville, Fla.
UCF 4, Jacksonville 3
1. Fernando Lopez (JU) def. Blaze Schwartz 3-6, 7-6(5), 6-4
2. Jose Fantova (JU) def. Claudio Romano 6-1, 6-3
3. Leo Vivas def. Logan Shalmi (JU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
4. Joe Delinks def. Matt Hansen (JU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Larry Condez (JU) def. Matthew Gladstone 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(3)
6. Mario Samson def. Lance Lvovsky (JU) 7-5, 6-0
1. B. Schwartz/ J. Delinks def. Lopez/Lvovsky (JU) 8-6
2. E. Dolgovykh/ M. Zachary def. Hansen/Shalmi (JU) 8-5
3. Fantova/ Condez (JU) def. C. Romano/ M. Gladstone 9-8 (2)