SUNDAY, JANUARY 30, 2011
Men’s tennis drops 7-0 decision to FAU
The JU men’s tennis team sent two singles matches into third sets but fell short of posting a victory as the Dolphins dropped a 7-0 decision to Florida Atlantic University on Sunday afternoon at the Keith Watson Family Tennis Complex.
JU sophomore Jose Fantova challenged Marc Abdelnour, the 14th-ranked player in the country, in the first-singles matchup. Fantova surged to a 6-2 first set win before Abdelnour rallied for the three-set win. The Dolphins fell to 0-2 while FAU improved to 2-2.
Fellow sophomore Fernando Bano Lopez also forced three-sets before FAU’s Ervin Garibovic pulled out the victory. The Dolphins—playing its second match in two days— won a doubles matchup when Fantova and Larry Condez teamed to defeat the Owls’ duo of Marc Wakim and Omar El Kheshen, 8-6.
FAU won the other doubles matches by scores of 8-5 and 8-5 to complete the shutout win. JU will have nearly a two-week respite before hosting Hampton University on Feb. 12. Match time is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Jacksonville vs. FAU
Jan. 30, 2010 at Jacksonville, Fla.
FAU 7, Jacksonville 0
1. #14 Marc Abdelnour def. Jose Fantova (JU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Ervin Garibovic def. Fernando Bano Lopez (JU) 7-6(5), 4-6, 1-0(7)
3. Derek Madon def. Logan Shalmi (JU) 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
4. Oliver Webb def. Matt Hansen (JU) 7-6(2), 6-4
5. Omar El Kheshen- def. Larry Condez (JU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Marc Wakim def. Lance Lvovsky (JU) 6-2, 7-6(6)
1. Marc Abdelnour/ Ervin Garibovic def. Lance Lvovsky/ Fernando Bano Lopez (JU) 8-5
2. Derek Madon/Oliver Webb def. Matt Hansen/ Logan Shalmi (JU) 8-5
3. Jose Fantova/ Larry Condez (JU) def. Marc Wakim/ Omar El Kheshen 8-6