With a loss to No. 4 Mercer last night, the No. 2 seed JU baseball team (35-21) will have a tough road through the loser bracket beginning with an elmination game against No. 1 Stetson (41-19) on Friday at 4 p.m. ET.
No. 4 Mercer will open the day against No. 6 Belmont at Noon ET, with both teams playing for a spot in the championship game on Saturday. With a win, the Dolphins will play the loser of Mercer/Belmont at 8 p.m. ET.
JU leads SU in the all-time series, 76-74, including a series win by the Hatters (2-1) at John Sessions Stadium. The contest can also be viewed for free on ASun.TV or followed through live stats by logging onto JUDolphins.com. There will also be live updates on 1010XL throughout the contest.
JU in the A-Sun Tournament
* For the 10th time in 13 seasons, JU has earned a bid to the A-Sun postseason tournament under head coach Terry Alexander.
* The Dolphins are the No. 2 seed in the tournament for the first time since 1999, their first year in the A-Sun. That season, JU won the tournament with a 4-1 record - defeating Troy State in the championship game.
* The Dolphins reached the final day of competition in last year’s Nashville tournament before being eliminated by Mercer.
* The Dolphins won the conference tourney in 2009 as the No. 1 seed, 2007 as the No. 4 seed, 2003 as the No. 6 seed and 1999 as the No. 2 seed.
* Against Stetson, JU is 4-1 in tournament play and has eliminated the Hatters in 2003, 2007 and 2010.
* In their current position, the Dolphins will need to win two games on Friday and two games on Saturday to come away with the 2011 A-Sun Championship.
JU is in search of its first 40-win season since going 43-19 in 2006...the Dolphins have two walk-off wins in the ninth since April 15 and have rallied to win from an early deficit in 14 games this year...the Dolphins are also 2-0 in extra-inning games...following a loss, the Dolphins are 16-4...JU has recorded three shutouts on the year, the most since 2004...the Dolphins are 9-2 in doubleheaders on the year.