THURSDAY, APRIL 05, 2012
Jacksonville University to Host Sport Management and Medicine Conference
The first-ever Sport Management and Medicine Conference at Jacksonville University will address issues that have grabbed recent headlines, including the payment of student-athletes, avoiding heat-related practice injuries and concussion prevention. A media panel featuring Florida Times-Union columnists, editors and other local sports commentators will also be featured. The inaugural event will be held on Wednesday, April 11 at the Davis College of Business Conference rooms at Jacksonville University.
The conference includes:
The conference schedule includes the following:
Morning Breakout Sessions: 10 – 11:50 a.m.
· To Pay or Not to Pay: The Dilemma Surrounding the Payment of Student-Athletes
· I’m Talking About the (Wo)Man in the Mirror: Fitness, Nutrition & Body Image
· An Exploration of Branding in Sport: From Linsanity to Under Armour to the PGA Tour
· Turf Luck: An Economic and Medical Analysis of NFL Injuries
NCAA Compliance Panel: 10 – 11 a.m.
· Information panel for Duval County Public Schools’ guidance counselors
Lunch with Keynote Speaker Kerwin Bell, Head Football Coach at Jacksonville University: 12 – 1 p.m.
Sports Media Panel: 1 - 2 p.m.
On-Field Football Coaching Clinic: Protecting Our Athletes: 2 – 4 p.m.
Duval County Public Schools’ coaches will have the opportunity to work side-by-side with Jacksonville University coaches and review training techniques and procedures that emphasize injury prevention including concussion prevention and awareness, the 3 H’s (Heat, Humidity and Hydration), and environmental awareness. The clinic will demonstrate offensive, defensive and strength and conditioning drills used by the Jacksonville University football program.
Breakout Sessions on Women’s Issues in Sports: 2 – 4 p.m.
Participants will have an opportunity to learn from JU coaches and athletic trainers about specific topics related to women’s sports including:
· Basic Strength Training for ACL Injury Prevention
· Concussion Prevention and Awareness
· Promoting a Healthy Body Image in Female Athletes
· Coaching Women's Sports
· The Ultimate Balancing Act: Personally and Professionally