Cliff Warren Post Game
Three Dolphins record a double-double
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – It took three overtime periods and 55 minutes of play but Jacksonville finally outlasted Kennesaw State 99-92 at Veterans Memorial Arena Thursday night. With the victory Dolphins Head Coach Cliff Warren became the all-time wins leader at JU passing the previous record of 107 held by Rollie Rourke (1953-60).
Junior Keith McDougald (Jacksonville, Fla.) sent the game to the first extra session with a game tying three-pointer with 11 seconds remaining in regulation. It was just one of several big shots by McDougald who led Jacksonville with 25-points and 13 rebounds. Senior Glenn Powell (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) recorded a double-double as well with 16 points and 11 rebounds as did freshman Kordario Fleming (Memphis, Tenn.) with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
Jacksonville (8-10; 3-2 A-Sun) trailed by as many as 12 points in the first half and still trailed by 10 with 12:22 left in regulation. The Dolphins controlled much of the first overtime period, scoring the first six points all at the foul line for a 76-70 lead. Kennesaw State (2-14; 1-3 A-Sun) answered back to tie the game at 78-78 and eventually grab an 81-80 lead on a three pointer by Delbert Love (23 points) with 1:06 left.
After a JU miss and a KSU turnover, senior Russell Powell (Newnan, Ga.) evened the score for the Dolphins by hitting a free throw with 17 seconds left. JU then forced a miss by Markeith Cummings (26 points) in the closing seconds to send the game into a second overtime period.
In the second OT, it was Glenn Powell’s turn to step up. The senior forward put JU up 86-85 with 1:37 left before Aaron Anderson sent the game into a third OT with a free throw in the closing seconds for KSU.
McDougald took over the final period for Jacksonville scoring five of the Dolphins 13 points to seal the win.
Jacksonville hosts Mercer at Veterans Memorial Arena on Saturday.
- Longest game played by JU since a 98-94 3OT win vs Stetson on Jan. 3, 2008
- Just the fifth game in school history to extend past 2OT periods
- JU improves to 4-0 all-time in 3OT games
- Glenn Powell (610) surpassed the 600 rebound mark for his career
- Powell is averaging 16.0 points in the last four games
- Jacksonville is the fourth team in the nation this season to have three players record a double-double in the same game (Akron, Jan. 2, 2013; LIU Brooklyn, Dec. 1, 2012; Iowa State, Nov. 9, 2012)
- Jacksonville has won the last 12 meetings vs Kennesaw State
- The 99 points are the most by JU since a 101-97 overtime win at Mercer on Feb. 16, 2007