Separated by a mere 12 miles, Jacksonville (9-10; 4-2 A-Sun) and North Florida (8-11; 3-3 A-Sun) renew their neighborhood rivalry with a SunTrust River City Rumble showdown at 7:00 pm on Friday at UNF Arena. The Dolphins enter this weekend’s action in a three-way tied for first place in the A-Sun along with Stetson and Florida Gulf Coast.
Jacksonville earned the early edge in a wide open race for the league crown with a pair of dramatic wins over Kennesaw State and Mercer at Veterans Memorial Arena last weekend.
Junior Keith McDougald helped lead the Dolphins to the 2-0 weekend with 25 points and 13 rebounds in the 99-92 triple OT vs Kensesaw and a team best 12 points and four steals in the 49-47 Mercer victory. For the week, the 6-1 guard averaged 18.5 points and 9.0 rebounds.
Freshman Jarvis Haywood also had a big week averaging 13.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in the two wins to earn his first A-Sun Newcomer of The Week accolade.
North Florida is coming off an 81-72 win over Kennesaw State last Saturday. The Ospreys are led by Parker Smith with 16.6 points per game.
Jacksonville leads the all-time series 13-4, but has lost the last three meetings.
TV / Radio
CSS Sports/ESPN3 (Matt Stewart & Sonny Smith)
92.5 FM (Terry Norvelle)
Next Up For Jacksonville
The Dolphins continue a three-game road swing next weekend with games at East Tennessee State on Thursday and USC Upstate on Saturday.
- Jacksonville has won games this year when both teams have scored in the 90s, 50s and 40s
- Senior forward Glenn Powell is averaging 15.2 points while shooting 60% (30-50) from the field in the last five games
- Powell is the A-Sun’s active leading rebounder with 617 career rebounds
- Jarvis Haywood ranks third amongst A-Sun freshmen in scoring this season with 10.8 ppg
- Jacksonville had a +15 advantage in points scored in the 21 minutes when junior forward Javon Dawson was on the floor against Mercer
- Head Coach Cliff Warren is Jacksonville’s all-time winningest coach, passing a 42-year old record held by Rollie Rourke earlier this season
- The Dolphins compiled a 2.87 team GPA for the fall 2012 semester
- Jacksonville has 11 players averaging at least 10 minutes a game, the most of any team in the A-Sun