THURSDAY, JANUARY 24, 2013
Jacksonville Athletics Achieves Record Setting 3.23 GPA For The Fall Semester
Student-Athletes will be honored at halftime of the men’s basketball game vs Stetson on Jan. 31
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. –Jacksonville University student-athletes continue the raise the bar in the classroom following a stellar effort in the 2012 fall semester.
As a whole, JU student-athletes tallied a 3.23 GPA for the first term of the 2012-13 academic year, ranking as the highest mark on record in the last several years.
“I am incredibly proud of what our student-athletes did this fall,” Director of Athletics Brad Edwards said. “Having the entire athletics body average better than a 3.0 GPA is no small feat. I credit the coaches and our student-athlete services staff for the amount of work they put in with our student-athletes to reach this level.”
The classroom success is nothing new to JU. Dolphin student-athletes have improved their overall GPA in each of the last four years (2011-12, 3.006; 2010-11, 2.951; 2009-10, 2.94; 2008-09, 2.87) and making them on pace for another record in 2012-13.
“I am really proud of the effort that our student-athletes put into their studies this fall,” JU Director of Student-Athlete Services Chris Johnson said. “It really shows the huge commitment our coaches and student-athletes place on academics.”
Jacksonville will be honoring the 236 student-athletes who earned a 3.0 or higher at halftime of the men’s basketball game vs Stetson on Jan. 31 at Swisher Gymnasium. Game time is scheduled for 7:00 pm.
Other highlights from the 2012 fall semester include:
• 236 student-athletes above a 3.0 GPA
• 102 student-athletes above a 3.5 GPA
• 28 student-athletes with a perfect 4.0 GPA
• 11 teams with a team GPA above 3.0
• 5 teams with a GPA above 3.3
• Women’s lacrosse achieving their highest semester GPA in team history with a 3.51
• Men’s Cross Country achieving their highest semester GPA in team history with a 3.39
• Baseball achieving their highest semester GPA in team history with a 3.32