Jacksonville is set to host the third annual edition of the Moe’s Southwest Grill Lacrosse Classic at EverBank Field on Sunday, February 17. The Dolphins will face No. 19 Ohio State in the second game of the doubleheader. No. 9 Denver and No. 15 Penn State face-off at 1:00 pm in game one.
JU opened the 2013 season with a 21-9 loss at No. 6 Duke last Sunday. TJ Kenary scored three goals and had two assists in the game for the Dolphins. Kenary also had six goals in a scrimmage against Tampa earlier this preseason. Dan McNulty won 14 of 30 face-offs for JU against the Blue Devils and also recorded a team best seven ground balls.
Ohio State opened the season with a 14-8 win over Detroit last weekend. Logan Schuss scored seven goals and had 10 total points in the win. The Buckeyes participated in the Moe’s Classic last year earning a 10-9 win over Denver.
The Dolphins are dedicating their 2013 season to fallen teammate Corey Lovrich who lost his fight against colon cancer and passed away this past may. Lovrich, who played two seasons with the Dolphins, was diagnosed with stage three colon cancer in the spring of 2011. In honor of Lovrich, the JU players have C-Love etched on their gameday gloves.
This is the first ever meeting between the two schools.
TV / Radio
NBC SportsNetwork (Mike Carey, Evan Washburn, Mark Dixon)
1010XL/92.5 FM (Ray Carnacelli)
Next Up For Jacksonville
The Dolphins host High Point at D.B. Milne Field next Saturday at 2:00 pm.
- Jacksonville is the only Division I men’s lacrosse team in the state of Florida
- The Dolphins begin their fourth year as a program in 2013
- Jacksonville is 1-1 all-time in the Moe’s Classic. JU defeated Navy 13-7 in 2012 and lost to Georgetown 15-12 in 2011
- Currently a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, the Dolphins will join the newly minted A-Sun men’s lacrosse league in 2014 with Mercer, Furman, High Point, Richmond and VMI
- Cameron Mann, Tanner Gard, Dan McNulty and Jim Trentini where chosen by their teammates as captains for the 2013 campaign
- Cameron Mann was selected as a preseason honorable mention All-American by the Inside Lacrosse Face-Off Yearbook. Mann enters this season as the only player in the three year history of JU lacrosse to record over 100 career points. Last year he ranked third in the league with 1.83 assists per game and was fourth with 3.42 points per game