FRIDAY, APRIL 16, 2004
Men's Tennis Upset by Campbell in the A-Sun Championship Quarterfinals
April 16, 2004
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The No. 2 seed men's tennis team was upset, 4-3, by No. 7 seed Campbell in the quarterfinals of the Atlantic Sun Championship Thursday at the John Drew Tennis Center. In an epic three set duel, freshman Peter Wietrak (Bensalem, Pa.) fell to Ryan Mills at No. 4 singles, 6-7, 7-5, 6-4 to clinch the victory for the seventh-seeded Camels.
JU took the doubles point with victories by junior Ben Birkmann (Bremen, Germany) and junior Christoph Mueller (Waldsassen, Germany) at No. 1 doubles (8-6) and sophomore Martin Hehensteiger (Schechen, Germany) and freshman Neil Sehgal (Cincinatti, Ohio) at No. 2 doubles (8-2).
The Dolphins took the first two singles matches with Hehensteiger winning, 6-1, 6-3 at No. 1 singles and Birkmann triumphing, 7-6, 6-0 at No. 2 singles, but Campbell battled back to capture the next four matches, including Mills' three-set win.
JU finished the regular season 8-11 and 3-1 in conference and earned the second seed in the conference tournament.
Campbell 4, Jacksonville 3
1. HEHENSTEIGER,Martin (JU) def. BERANEK,Jiri (CAM) 6-1, 6-3
2. BIRKMANN,Ben (JU) def. WILPOTTE,Florent (CAM) 7-6, 6-0
3. CAMPO,Carlos (CAM) def. MUELLER,Christoph (JU) 6-4, 6-1
4. MILLS, Ryan (CAM) def. WIETRAK,Peter (JU) 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
5. TOLTSAN, Zorick (CAM) def. Rojas, Andres (JU) 6-4, 7-5
6. PARKES,Martin (CAM) def. SEHGAL,Neil (JU) 6-4, 6-3
1. BIRKMANN,Ben/MUELLER,Christoph (JU) def. BERANEK,Jiri/MILLS, Ryan (CAM) 8-6
2. HEHENSTEIGER,Martin/SEHGAL,Neil (JU) def. WILPOTTE,Florent/TOLTSAN, Zorick (CAM) 8-2
3. PARKES,Martin/TEJADA,Sergio (CAM) def. ROJAS, Andres/GARFIELD,Brian (JU) 8-4
2003 MEN'S TENNIS