JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The battle for the top of the Southern Conference standings takes place this Saturday, April 14 as Jacksonville University men's lacrosse hits the road to take on Richmond at Robins Stadium at noon.
Setting the Scene
- The Dolphins enter Saturday's contest with a 5-5 overall record, and 3-1 mark in the SoCon.
- Jacksonville defeated Mercer (March 17) and Bellarmine (March 24) to open up league play, before falling on the road at High Point (March 31), then bounced back with a win over Air Force (April 7).
- Moving On Up: Junior Eric Applegate ranks third all-time in JU program history with 89 points. … Only Cameron Mann (139) and TJ Kenary (109) have scored more points in their respective careers. … Applegate also ranks second all-time with 45 career assists.
- Riding a 27-game streak with at least one ground ball, senior Hunter Forbes has won at least 50% or more of his face offs this season. … The Woodstock, Ga. native leads the SoCon and ranks among the top five in the nation in ground balls per game (10.10 – 4th) and face-off winning percentage (.690 – 5th).
- As a team, the Dolphins rank among the nation's top 10 in face off winning percentage (.687 – 4th), ground balls per game (34.00 – 5th), and man-down defense (.788 – 7th). … Jacksonville also leads the SoCon in assists per game (6.30), points per game (17.60), and scoring offense (11.30).
- Among the nation's best in face offs, senior Hunter Forbes has won 50% or more of his opportunities at the X this season for a 10-game streak.
- He is also riding a 27-game streak with at least one ground ball, dating back to the 2016 season.
- Third on the team with 17 points so far, sophomore Dwayne Mattushik has posted a point in each of the last 14 games.
- Sitting atop the Southern Conference standings, the Spiders are 6-5 on the season and 3-1 in the SoCon with wins over VMI (March 10), High Point (March 24), and most recently Bellarmine (April 7). … Richmond's lone loss on the year came on a 10-9 loss at Furman on March 17.
- Richmond also defeated Bucknell (Feb. 17), Mount St. Mary's (Feb. 20), and upset No. 14 North Carolina (March 14).
- Teddy Hatfield leads the Spiders with 33 points behind 23 goals and 10 assists. … Mitch Goldberg (14g, 6a) and Ryan Lanchbury (13g, 7a) both have 20 points on the year.
- Hatfield and Austin Brown both have four man-up goals.
- Austin Cates leads the team with 40 ground balls.
- Garrett Smith has taken the majority of face offs for Richmond and has a winning percentage of .455 (86-189).
- Goalie Blake Goodman has started all 11 games in the cage for the Spiders.
- Goodman's 102 saves are third-most in the SoCon.
Series History vs. the Spiders
- Richmond holds a 4-0 advantage in the all-time series with the Dolphins, including a 2-0 mark at Robins Stadium.
- Last season, the Spiders left Duval with a 13-6 win, though the deciding factor was Richmond's 6-0 second quarter.
- Of this year's returners, Eric Applegate posted a goal and an assist, while Ryan Beville, McLean Chicquen, Dwayne Mattushik, and Brett Reilly added a goal each.
- Hunter Forbes finished 13-of-21 on face offs with eight ground balls, while goalie Ben Gleichenhaus totaled nine saves in the loss.
In the Polls
- For the first time in school history, Jacksonville was mentioned in the national polls.
- Following their fifth game of the season, an 11-10 overtime loss to then-No. 16 Vermont, the Dolphins were receiving votes in the Nike/USILA Coaches' Poll (March 5).
- The Dolphins look to crack the top 20 as they move into SoCon action.
SoCon So Good
- Five Dolphins have been recognized by the SoCon for their performances on the field throughout the season.
- Most recently, junior goalie Hunter Sells earned SoCon Defensive Player of the Week honors after holding Bellarmine to a season-low five goals, blanking the Knights on two extra-man opportunities, while recorded nine saves and picking up a season-high seven ground balls to help the Dolphins down Bellarmine, 9-5. http://judolphins.com/sports/mlax/2017-18/releases/20180327kfdcor
- Junior Eric Applegate was named SoCon Offensive Player of the Month for February after posting a team-high 18 points (12g, 8a). … In each of the five games in February, the Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. native recorded at least one point, and totaled no less than four in the other four contests.
- Freshmen Jeremy Winston and Dixon Smith swept the SoCon weekly awards on Feb. 27 as the Dallas, Texas duo were named Offensive Player of the Week and Defensive Player of the Week, respectively. Winston hung five goals in the Dolphins' 11-10 overtime loss to then-No. 4 Ohio State in the 2018 Moe's Lacrosse Classic – the most scored by a Dolphin against a ranked opponent in program history; previously in the week, he recorded a hat trick to help Jacksonville down Detroit Mercy, 15-8. … Smith's impressive lockdown defense, along with his team-leading four-ground ball, four-caused turnover day, held the Buckeyes' All-American attackman Tre Leclaire scoreless through 59 minutes of action.
- Senior Hunter Forbes took home SoCon Offensive Player of the Week honors on Feb. 13 after he won 19 of 22 opportunities at the X and scooped up 13 ground balls in the Dolphins' season-opening victory over Navy, 12-7. … Forbes was also named to the first USILA Team of the Week for that performance.
The Dolphins close out their road slate next Saturday, April 21 at Furman. Opening face off is set for noon.