TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Head Coach Ronald Grigg placed expectations on performance and the Jacksonville University men's and women's cross country programs delivered. Friday morning, the Dolphins traveled to Tallahassee where they competed in one of the state's oldest meets, the FSU Invitational.
Jacksonville's women were crowned the Division I champions while three men finished the 8K with their best times yet. Kyla Siemens and Andrew Merrill were the first to cross the finish line in their respective races.
Led by Siemens' fourth-place time of 18:07.9, the Dolphins featured four in the top 20. Katy Solis and Nora McUmber finished ninth and tenth with marks of 18:33.7 and 18:39.5, and Caitlin Glynnimproved her season's best to 19:02.2 for the 16th spot.
The Dolphins combined for a meet-high 63 points. Florida A&M (66) and South Florida (88) rounded out the field.
On the men's side, Merrill (19th) paced the Dolphins in their third consecutive race as he posted a time of 27:21.3.
JU visits South Carolina for its fourth and final regular season meet to race at the College of Charleston Classic on Friday, Oct. 16.
Head Coach Ronald Grigg Quotables:
On the women: "I'm happy to get the team win but more importantly, we showed consistency from our top runners and improvements from our numbers four, five and six. All of that will bode well as we move forward."
On the men: "Another solid effort. We continue to get better each week and we're looking forward to racing in two weeks at the College of Charleston."
1. Catherine Blaney (USF) – 17:54.8
2. Holly Wooley (UCF) – 18:02.9
3. Cynthia Chelelgo (Florida A&M) – 18:05.00
4. Kyla Siemens (Jacksonville) – 18:07.9
5. Gabrielle Hesslau (Miami) – 18:09.5
9. Katy Solis (Jacksonville) – 18:33.7
10. Nora McUmber (Jacksonville) – 18:39.5
16. Caitlin Glynn (Jacksonville) – 19:02.2
24. Janine Zajac (Jacksonville) – 19:14.5
42. Tatyana Hodnett (Jacksonville) – 19:55.0
Total Points – 63
1. Zak Seddon (Florida State) – 25:07.3
2. Stanley Linton (Florida State) – 25:08.1
3. Jack Goodwin (Florida State) – 25:30.5
4. Michael Babinec (South Florida) – 25:43.8
5. Bryce Kelley (Florida State) – 26:00.3
19. Andrew Merrill (Jacksonville) – 27:21.3
30. Jeremy McDermet (Jacksonville) – 28:05.7
34. Brett Gerhardt (Jacksonville) – 28:24.9
42. Drew Hart (Jacksonville) – 29:19.3
47. Kyle Crews Jr. (Jacksonville) – 30:04.7
52. Drew Overmyer (Jacksonville) – 34:37.0
Total Points - 156