JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Jacksonville softball returns home for its final non-conference doubleheader when it welcomes Savannah State to the Debbie & Fred Pruitt Softball Complex Wednesday, April 19 at 3:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
Game Day Central
Last Outing against Kennesaw State
The Dolphins closed out last weekend's three-game ASUN Conference series at Kennesaw State with a 6-5 victory in the finale over the hosts after scoring two runs in the top of the five and shutting down the Owls in the remaining three innings to seal the win. KSU earned a sweep of the doubleheader the previous day, taking game osne, 7-1, and game two, 6-3.
By the Numbers …
- 23-19 | The Dolphins' overall record heading into the weekend. Jacksonville is also 3-6 in ASUN Conference play.
- 2.05 | Stolen bases per game the Dolphins average to rank third in the ASUN and 17th in the nation.
- 0.964 | The Dolphins' fielding percentage, ranking them third in the league.
At The Plate
- Heather Roberts ranks first in the ASUN in hit by pitch per game (0.26).
- Roberts is also second in the league in on-base percentage (.475) and RBI per game (0.91).
- With three sacrifice flies, Jordan Daniels ranks second in the ASUN.
- Danielle Baker is second in the league with 0.17 sacrifice hits per game.
- Allie McCourt leads the team with 27 stolen bases and ranks third in the ASUN with 0.64 stolen bases per game.
- Five Dolphins are hitting above .300: Allie McCourt (.345), Heather Roberts (.340), Blaise Brooks (.333), Madison Ragan (.311), and Ciara Jones (.308).
- Roberts leads the team with six home runs, including two grand slams, while Ragan and Bethany Kursch have hit four each.
In The Circle
- Taylor Thorpe (8-6) leads the team in the circle with a 2.63 ERA and 30 strikeouts through 106.1 innings of work.
- Seana Mora is next on the team with a 2.85 ERA and 10 strikeouts through 34.1 innings for a 3-3 record.
- Madison Ragan (3.22 ERA, 30 strikeouts) and Alyssa Bilodeau (3.97 ERA, 27 strikeouts) have also seen significant time in the circle for the Dolphins, with Ragan making 10 starts in 19 appearances for a 5-4 record and Bilodeau making 14 starts in 22 appearances for a 7-6 record.
Let's Take Two (Outs)
- The Dolphins have turned 14 double plays this season, third best in the ASUN.
- Jacksonville ranks third in the ASUN with 0.37 double plays per game.
- Makenzie Buss (9), Jordan Daniels (8), Danielle Baker (7), and Jacqueline Hodskins (6) have all been part of the majority of the Dolphin double plays.
The Dolphins broke the program's single-season stolen bases record in a 3-2 victory in the second game of a doubleheader at Florida Gulf Coast on March 25, 2017. Madison Ragan stole second base in the top of the second to tie the program record of 77, set by the 2015 Dolphins, and Allie McCourt stole second in the top of the third to rewrite the history books with the 78th stolen base this season. Jacksonville now has 86 stolen bases on the year – with 11 more games to play in the regular season.
Scouting the Opposition
Against Savannah State (1-29, 1-8 MEAC) | 24-1 in the series
- Head Coach Jose Gonzalez is in his sixth year at the helm of the Tigers.
- Savannah State enters Wednesday's doubleheader with a 1-29 record overall.
- The Dolphins hold a 24-1 advantage in the all-time series.
- The Tigers rank second in the MEAC and 15th nationally with 0.33 triples per game.
- With 1.33 stolen bases per game, Savannah State is fourth in the league.
- Alexis Singleton leads the MEAC and ranks fifth in the nation with 0.17 triples per game. She is also second in the league and 15th nationally with five total triples on the year.
- Four Tigers who have started at least half the games are batting above.250: Cortni Jones (.455), Alexis Singleton (.370), Brianna Harris (.259), and Elizabeth Humes (.256).
- Jones and Ashleigh Dennis lead the team with two home runs apiece.
- Singleton has driven in a team-leading 10 RBI, followed by Harris' nine and Jones' seven.
- The Tigers are 40-for-47 in stolen base attempts, with Shelby Eccles (9-of-10) and Harris (9-of-12) with nine stolen bags, followed by Singleton (8-of-8).
- Amanda McDowell leads the Tigers in the circle with 74 strikeouts through 94.1 innings of work.
- Next on the Tigers' pitching staff is Faith Dickerson, who has struck out 18 through 60.2 innings.
Jacksonville's final ESPN3 broadcast will be Sunday, April 23 when the Dolphins play host to USC Upstate in the in the teams' ASUN series' finale at 1:00 p.m.
The Dolphins welcome USC Upstate this weekend for a three-game series beginning with a doubleheader Saturday, April 22 at 1:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. and Sunday, April 23 at 1:00 p.m. Sunday's game will be broadcast live on ESPN3.