JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Jacksonville University women's basketball team welcomes Stetson to the First Coast on Wednesday, Feb. 25 in its home finale of the regular season. Also billed as Senior Night, the Dolphins will honor April Carson, the team's lone senior, in a pre-game ceremony before the 7 p.m. tipoff.
Watch The Ladies Work
Wednesday's game will be livestreamed on ESPN3 with Artis Gilmore and Tyler Devitte on the call. Live stats will be available on JUDolphins.com and fans can follow @JU_WBB on Twitter for all game day information, including score updates and photos.
JU's Last Outing
Trailing by eight points midway through the second half, the Dolphins sparked a furious comeback to defeat Lipscomb, 75-63, last Saturday.
- The Dolphins knocked down a season-best 10 three-pointers in their victory over the Bisons … The last time JU made 10 treys was in 2004 vs. Belmont
- Jacksonville is 5-1 when scoring 70-79 points … Its scored 70 points or more in each of its last three road wins
After sweeping their competition last week, the Dolphins swept the Atlantic Sun's weekly award. Back-to-back 20-point games earned junior Briona Brown her first Player of the Week honor while freshman Kayla Gordon has continued to make waves in the conference with her sixth Newcomer of the Week title, an A-Sun record.
Atlantic Sun Women's Basketball Player of the Week - Briona Brown
Junior | Forward
Haines City, Fla.
- First Career Atlantic Sun Player of the Week honor
- Averaged 23.5 points per game in back-to-back wins conference wins on the road for Jacksonville
- Scored a career-high 25 points at Lipscomb including going 3-5 from behind the arc
- Recorded back-to-back 20-point performances for the first time in her career
- Shot 7-10 from behind the arc in both games combined, totaled 17 made field goals for the week
- Added 6.5 rebounds per game and 2.0 assists per game as Jacksonville moved into a tie for third in the A-Sun standings
Atlantic Sun Women's Basketball Newcomer of the Week - Kayla Gordon
Freshman | Forward
Meridian, Miss. | Exercise Science
- Sixth Career Atlantic Sun Newcomer of the Week award
- Finished in double figures in both of Jacksonville's road victories at NKU and Lipscomb
- Shot 58.8 percent from the field as Gordon is riding a six-game stretch of scoring 10 or more points
- Grabbed 6.5 rebounds per contest, continuing to lead all freshman in the A-Sun in that category
- Added a steal in both games as Jacksonville extended its road winning streak to four games
- Nine of her 13 total rebounds came on the offensive end this past week
With their fourth consecutive road win, Jacksonville joins Northern Kentucky in a tie for third place in conference standings. The top four seeds will host a quarterfinal contest in the upcoming championship tournament.
No. 22/24 FGCU has secured the regular season crown, while Stetson clinched the No. 2 seed.
Stetson Breakdown (20-6, 9-3 A-Sun)
FG%: 42.7 | 3FG%: 31 | FT%: 71.3| PPG: 71.7 | RPG: 40.5 | SPG: 9.6 | TPG: 16.2
Series History: Stetson leads, 22-13
Notable: Secured 20th win of the season by defeating Kennesaw State 70-58 … In the midst of a four-game winning streak … Three conference loses were at the hands of FGCU (twice) and Northern Kentucky (on the road) … Brianti Saunders leads the team in points per game at 14.1 while Jama Sharp, Amber Porter and Myeisha Hall each average around 13 points … Porter is pulling down a team-best 7.5 RPG
Jacksonville concludes its regular season slate at Florida Gulf Coast on Saturday, Feb. 28 at 7 p.m.