GAME #17: Jacksonville (13-3, 4-0 ASUN) vs. Stetson (4-12, 1-3 ASUN)
DATE: Sunday, April 29
TIME: 1 pm
SITE: D.B. Milne Field | Jacksonville, Fla.
LIVE STATS: JACKSONVILLE
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Jacksonville University women's lacrosse closes out the regular season Sunday, April 29 when it plays host to Stetson at 1 p.m.
Setting the Scene
- The Dolphins enter the weekend with an 13-3 overall record, and a 4-0 mark in the ASUN Conference.
- Freshman Sarah Elms and sophomore Genie Santarpio swept last week's ASUN Player and Defensive Players of the Week, respectively.
- Jacksonville leads the nation in scoring offense, averaging 18.00 goals per game.
- Additionally, senior Ashtyn Hiron leads the nation with a .833 free-position percentage.
- The Dolphins also rank among the top 5 in the nation in several statistical categories including: points per game (27.50 – 2nd), assists per game (9.50 – 2nd), shots per game (37.94 – 2nd), shots on goal per game (28.09 – 2nd), and scoring margin (8.50 – 2nd).
- The Dolphins also lead the league in caused turnovers per game (11.94), draw controls per game (15.75), free-position percentage (.504), scoring defense (9.50), and turnovers per game (13.38).
- With a .474 shot percentage, JU is second in the ASUN and 12th among Division I programs, while their 19.44 ground balls per game are also second in the league.
- Individually, several Dolphins also rank among the ASUN's top three in several categories.
- Hiron also leads the ASUN in points (69) and points per game (4.60), and ranks second in draw controls per game (5.13), caused turnovers per game (1.53), free position goals per game (1.00), goals (52), and goals per game (3.47).
- Freshman Sarah Elms ranks among the ASUN's top five in points (59 – 4th), goals (46 – 3rd), goals per game (2.88 – 4th), and points per game (3.69 – 4th).
- Additionally, junior Erin McGuire ranks third in the league in both assists (30) and assists per game (1.88), while freshman Jenny Kinsey ranks fifth with 17 assists.
ASUN Weekly Honors
- Five different Dolphins have collected a total of eight ASUN Player of the Week honors this season.
- Most recently, Ashtyn Hiron took home back-to-back-to-back (that's three-straight!) ASUN Player of the Week honors for the weeks of March 27, April 3, and April 10. She also earned the weekly recognition on Feb. 13 and Feb. 27.
- Hiron picked up her fourth POW accolade of the season after leading the Dolphins to a 2-0 weekend at Furman and Wofford, a new program single-game scoring record, and matching her single-game highs with eight points and 11 draw controls against the Terriers.
- Hiron earned her third ASUN Player of the Week honor after recorded seven points and notched a career-high six goals in the Dolphins' 17-16 loss to Dartmouth on March 21.
- Hiron also earned the season's first on Feb. 13 after posting five goals in the Dolphins' 14-9 season-opening win against Michigan.
- Two weeks later, the Perth, Western Australia native earned her second Player of the Week honor on Feb. 27 after she notched six points (4g, 2a) in to lead Jacksonville to a 17-16 overtime win over Ohio State in the Moe's Lacrosse Classic on Feb. 23.
- Freshman Sarah Elms earned Player of the Week honors as her six-point performance (4g, 2a) led the Dolphins' to a 19-5 victory over Central Connecticut State on March 14.
- A week prior, junior captain Lillie Miller was named Player of the Week on March 13 for her six-point performance (3g, 3a) in the Dolphins' 20-5 win over Vermont on March 11. Miller also won three draws in the effort.
- Hiron and junior Erica Beal swept the ASUN honors that week as Beal took home ASUN Defensive Player of the Week honors – the first in her career – after she played an integral defensive effort with two ground balls and two caused turnovers to help stifle the Buckeyes.
- Earlier in the season, graduate goalkeeper Emily Poelma recorded a season-high 13 saves against the No. 15 Fighting Irish to earn ASUN Defensive Player of the Week honors for Feb. 20.
Australian Legacy an American Favorite
- Ashtyn Hiron, a native of Perth, Western Australia and three-time Australian National Team member, became the first Dolphin to earn national player of the week honors.
- Hiron was voted Alpha Lacrosse National Player of the Week following her six-point, 11-draw performance to help the Dolphins defeat Ohio State, 11-10, in overtime on Feb. 23.
- The senior captain won 43 percent of the 839 votes casted on a poll tweeted out by @ILWomen, an account by Inside Lacrosse dedicated to highlighting the women's game.
- Hiron won more votes than North Carolina's Marie McCool (34%), Virginia Tech's Tristan McGinley (16%), and Penn State's Katie O'Donnell (7%).
- The Hatters enter the weekend with a 4-12 overall record, and are 1-3 in the ASUN.
- Stetson defeated Howard for its lone ASUN win, 19-4.
- Both Hallie Merz (17g, 34a) and Riley Reagan (17g, 33a) have recorded 50 or more points on the year with 51 and 50, respectively.
- Karli Maguire leads the team with 10 free-position goals, while Maddie Holvey leads the team with 65 draw controls.
- Goalie Liza Diamond has a team-best 51 ground balls and has recorded 147 saves (.429).
Series History vs. the Hatters
- The Dolphins are 5-0 in the all-time series with Stetson, including a 2-0 mark at D.B. Milne Field.
The Dolphins serve as hosts for the 2018 ASUN Conference Tournament, which begins with a pair of semifinal contests on Thursday, May 3 and concludes with the Championship game on Saturday, May 5 at 1 p.m.